The Male half of TMC is back in Chicago training for his new job with AutoTrader.com.
This week is rather hectic for both Mommy and Daddy. Without much time to blog, let alone train, we wanted to put this program down in writing for everybody as soon as possible.
We’ve been using it for about 9 days and think it’s AWESOME!
Our original HIT program designed by Markus Reinhardt split the body up between 4 days every 7.
The last four weeks before our competition we dropped to 3 days to prevent any type of muscle loss or catabolism due to dieting, increased cardio and lowered kcals.
This new HIT program relies on the methodology of Mike Mentzer’s original HIT Program which offered a 2 Day Split protocol- training each body part twice in a 7 day interval.
The key is making sure the volume increases only marginally and only for about 6-8 weeks in a sort of “over-compensation” phase. More on that later.
Here is the program:
- Machine Decline Press-2 Warm up Sets and 1 Set to Failure with Final Rep Maximum Fiber Contraction with 10 sec eccentric
- Nautilus Pec Fly-60 Second Static Hold with 75% of 1 Rep Max and then reduce weight by 15% for one set to positive failure
- Incline Hammer Press-1 set of 10 second concentric with 10 second eccentric until failure. Usually start at 50% of max and progress upward. (THIS IS NOT FOR THE WEAK OF HEART)
- Cable Triceps Pushdown-1 Warm up set and 1 Set to Failure utilizing 1 and 1/4 reps
- Cable Rope Overhead Extension-1 Set to Failure with 15 Second Squeeze and Hold at peak of concentric on last rep
- Seated Dip Machine-1 Warm up set and 1 Set to Failure with 10 Second Rest Pause Interval and 3-5 more reps to failure
- Free Standing Squat Machine or Smith Machine Squats-1-2 Warm up sets. 1 Set to Total Failure with Leaning Forward Fascial Quad Stretch for 45-60 second static (contracting hold) immediately post set. (we’ll offer a video in the next couple of weeks demonstrating this type of stretch)
- Standing Machine Calf Raises-1 Set to Failure shooting for 20+ reps
- Nautilus Pull-Over Machine Supersetted with Rvs Grip Pulldowns trying for 10-15 Second Static Hold on last rep of each set
- Hammer Row Machine-1 Set to Failure wih 10 second rest pause and then continue set to failure
- Weighted Negative Chin Ups to positive failure-maximally squeeze and contract lats at top and then try for 10 second lowering eccentric, jump up and repeat until you can’t contract or lower yourself anymore
- Lateral Raise to complete failure super-setted with Delt Overhead press (Machines preferable)with 10-15 second static hold on final rep of each set
- Rear Delt Fly to complete failure shooting for 12+ reps
- Barbell Standing Curl-1-2 warm up sets then one set to complete failure shooting for 10 reps
- Preacher Curl Machine-one set to complete failure making sure to squeeze and contract at peak of concentric on every rep
- Standing DB Brachiallis Curls-one set to momentary failure, 10 second rest pause and then continue on til full positive failure
- Hanging Oblique Side Twists each side to complete failure shooting for 15-20 reps per side
We’ll reveal Day 5 and Day 6 sometime toward the end of this week.
***We can’t stress enough the importance of maximal muscular contraction when performing HIT reps. Once you master this, the change to your physique/musculature is quite extraordinary.
***This workout is short but taxing. You will need two days off between the 2nd two training sessions of the weekly split. In fact we’ll be taking two days off between every two day rotation.
***If you’re really advanced, brave or pressed for time, you can incorporate each body part’s work into one giant Super Set. Mentzer did this with both his bicep and tricep training often. In most commercial gyms this would be tough to pull off due to crowds and people sharing/stealing your machines/exercise areas.
***To reap maximum benefit/reward from this protocol, you should eat above maintenance by about 7-20% of your normal kcal intake. Consider this a “mass gain” HIT Protocol if there is such a thing. Your body will thank you for the extra kcals.
***Cardio can be kept constant depending on your condition and relative to your long term goals. TMC is still doing between 20 and 30 minutes a day 3-5 days a week.
***As always with HIT, you must record your set and rep schemes to understand when to increase weight, reps and intensity principles and also to back off when your body needs a break.
***An old school lifting log is great but can become inconvenient when having to remember to bring it with you to the gym. A much better solution is one of the various apps available for your PDA’s operating system. Gym Technik for Blackberry, JeFit/Gymbook/Droidfit for Android and “hundreds” of apps for the iPhone.
As with everything we write about on the site, please don’t hesitate to ask questions regarding any of the content.